I had a really awesome week. Work was pretty crazy, I wasn’t able to move anything to our new house because of the rain, and my laundry pile is absolutely absurd, BUT I’m ending the week feeling really great! My workouts this week were awesome and my diet was good!
Over the past 6 months I have moved away from eating fat free, low-fat, and “diet” foods. My entire life I’ve eaten low-fat this and fat free that. I never ate anything “real”, unless it was a treat. I’d order skim at Starbucks, would buy fat free snack packs, and would eat low-fat or fat free dairy.
Over the summer I started buying full fat sour cream, whole milk, and stopped feeling bad about buying or ordering “fattening foods”. I always assumed that I’d gain a ton of weight if I switch to full fat, but I haven’t. I’ve lost weight and I’m much more satisfied when I eat. I find that I use way less because the foods are richer. I actually crave veggies more because I crave fresh foods to balance out the fat I’m eating through dairy and meat.
One of my goals this week was to be smart about holiday sweets and snacks, but I found that allowing myself a little treat kept me from going overboard in the break room or at holiday parties. I know this is shocking, but I am definitely not a pumpkin spice fan. I like pumpkin, but I just don’t go gaga for pumpkin spice every fall. Peppermint on the other hand…. I’m obsessed with peppermint!
Giant Food has a gazillion peppermint products in stores right now and I’m just loving it!! Peppermint cookies, peppermint baking mixes, peppermint gelato, peppermint cleaners… you name it! This week I enjoyed a piece of Giant Foods peppermint bark every day. It was a delicious treat, whether mid afternoon or after dinner. In the past, I would felt like I was being “bad” for eating a piece of peppermint bark every day, and I would have assumed that I’d gain weight for doing so. It’s really freeing to know that I can enjoy these treat and still reach my goals.
Goals For Week 4
1. 7,500 steps a day — I need to figure out how to move more on the days I don’t work out. It’s hard to move during the work day, since I’m at my desk for essentially 8 hours, but I’ve got to figure out how to get more steps in. I just need to make it happen.
2. Push myself in my Orange Theory Workouts – Yes! We’re in the middle of the “12 Day of Christmas” and the workouts are really hard. I’m loving it.
3. Pack my lunch for work each day – I took homemade broccoli cheese soup to work a few days and then homemade shepherds pie. I bought Subway yesterday, but technically I packed a lunch, I just didn’t want it.
4. Get creative with our CSA produce box (Lettuce, Green Cauliflower, Leeks, Carrots, Red Cabbage, Turnips, Rainbow Chard, and Young Spinach) — I need to get cooking! I have a few ideas, so I’ll need to use the weekend to cook. Any recipes you’d recommend for these ingredients?
5. Finalize my Christmas shopping list – I finalized it… now I just need to shop. I’m behind the power curve.
6. Start reading my December book of the month 10% Happier – Sadly no. I need to start reading it this weekend.
Friday – 3 mile walk (13,042 steps)
Saturday – Active Rest (2,561 steps — my fitbit died mid-morning)
Sunday – Active Rest (7,680 steps)
Monday – Orange Theory (9,529 steps)
Tuesday – Rest Day (4,585 steps)
Wednesday – Orange Theory (10,562 steps)
Thursday – Rest Day (3,720 steps)
Healthy Holidays Challenge