I’m really happy with my first week of the Healthy Holidays Challenge. My ultimate goal was to get back on track after being super sick. I still have a bit of a cough, but overall I’m feeling so much better! My goals were structured around getting back to workouts, fueling my body after my workouts, and eating healthy.
My workouts were really, really awesome. I didn’t reach all of my fitness goals, but I’m proud of the goals I did reach. On the eating front, I honestly feel really good. It’s tough because weight loss is a science (calories in vs calories out), but intuitive eating takes out the quantitative piece. I can’t attribute my weight loss to a specific calorie or Points count. I can only look back and think “did I make healthy choices, eat only when I was hungry, and stop when I was full?” (qualitative). It’s a relief to not be consumed by the numbers, but it can be hard when there is no specific rhyme or reason to your loss (or gain).
This week I lost 0.7 pounds. My goal was to lose 1 pound, so I’ll admit that I was really hoping to lose at least that. Granted I had dinner at Ted’s Montana Grill last night and I worked out at Orange Theory this morning (and drank a ton of water) before weighing myself, BUT a loss is definitely a loss and I want to focus on that.
I’m still really stressed (eye twitching continues), so I want to focus on more self care as I move into week 2 today. I’ll share my goals for week 2 on Monday. Tomorrow I’m off to watch Neal run the Richmond Half Marathon in the morning, am meeting up with the DC Divas Oline for dinner, and then Sunday we’re going to the Redskins game (DC Divas are being honored at halftime). It should be a really awesome weekend!
Week 1 Goals Reviewed
1. Push myself in my Orange Theory workouts – My workouts at Orange Theory this week were awesome! Although the workouts have always been challenging, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone this week. I ran faster and used heavier weights. It was tough but I felt really amazing!
2. Get 7,500 steps each day – I’m really glad I set this goal. On days where I’m at my computer all day, I really struggle to get steps in. The weekend was pretty easy because I was go, go, go and Monday my Orange Theory workouts helped me to hit 10K again, but I really struggled to get 7,500 steps towards the end of the week. I was just too busy during the work day to get away from my desk and then I did quiet a bit of work/writing at night. I’ve just got to get up during the day or at least take a lunch break.
3. Fuel my body after my Orange Theory workouts – I felt really great on the days I workouts at Orange Theory. I had a protein shake right after my workouts and then had eggs and toast with almond butter or a broccoli and cheese omelet.
4. No sweets or Starbucks during the work week – I didn’t go to Starbucks this week (win) but I did have some ice cream Wednesday night and a few pieces of candy yesterday. Honestly, I just wasn’t focused on this goal. I forgot about it.
5. Eat lots of veggies – I ate a lot of veggies this week and am feeling good! I need to find new ways to prepare my favorite veggies, but that might be a goal for another week.
6. Reach the half way mark of my November Book of the Month – I absolutely love this book and am a little over halfway done. My goal is to finish it in the next week and then to take action on my house. I can’t wait to share what I’ve learned and what I plan to do around the house.
As I shared, my workouts at Orange Theory this week were awesome! Working out on Tuesday and Thursday however just didn’t happen. I was just too busy and honestly my body is pretty beat the day after Orange Theory. I think I need to focus on getting 7,500 steps on Tuesday and Thursday but use them as true rest days.
Friday – Rest Day
Saturday – 5K Run/Walk
Sunday – Long walk with family
Monday – Orange Theory
30 mins cardio
Wednesday – Orange Theory
30 mins cardio
I shared what I ate on Monday through WIAW and most of my days mirrored that day. I really enjoyed having eggs for breakfast and then soup and a sandwich for lunch. My dinners were extremely hodge podge, but they were protein and veggie heavy. I had turkey meatballs, baked chicken, and turkey taco meat with various veggies. Thursday Neal and I had dinner at Ted’s Montana Grill, which was awesome! I ordered a bison burger with fries. I was really happy with what I chose to eat this week and will build upon it this next week.