Here in DC the summers are HOT! High temperatures and high humidity can make outdoor workouts pretty miserable, but summer workouts can also be very rewarding! Whether you’re going out for an early morning run, driving somewhere cooler to go for a hike, or kayaking down a river, the heat can be worth it.
As someone who workouts before the day gets going, but also plays full contact football (aka full pads) in the evening, I’ve had to find a way to prepare my body and to recharge afterwards. You learn the hard way when you over do it, so learning from those moments will help you to enjoy your summer workouts moving forward.
1. Consider working out in the early morning. Depending on the day, summer mornings tend to provide the perfect temperature for working out. The sky is bright but the sun hasn’t had a chance to heat things up.
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Hydration can not be an afterthought! You need to hydrate each day, all day, not just during your workouts.
3. Have water bottles prepared. I like to take a water bottle out with me during my workout and to also have one waiting for me when I get back home or to my car. You should finish your first water bottle during your workout, so you’ll need more water when you’re done.
4. Dress appropriately. I’ve overdressed one too many times during the summer. Find workout gear that has a “wicking” quality and can keep you dry while you workout. Hats can also keep you cool by keeping the sun off your face. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
5. Take your vitamins. Taking a multivitamin will ensure that you’re getting enough of the vitamins your body needs. I personally take a Nova Scotia Organics pre/post natal multivitamin, Vitamin D, and after football practice, the Nova Scotia Organics Cool Performance supplement.
5. Refuel!! During the summer I usually have to allow my body to cool down before eating, but refueling after a workout is so important. Smoothies make great post-workout fuel because they’re cold and packed with nutrients.
- 1 cup cashew milk
- ⅔ cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp Greens Superfood (optional)
- 2 tbsp BerrySlim (optional)
- ⅓ cup granola
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add to a bowl, top with granola, and enjoy!
Nova Scotia Organics, which is the only complete line of vitamins and minerals carrying the unique distinction of being USDA Certified Organic, has the tools you need to combat uncomfortable symptoms of your summer workout so you keep going back out for more. Nova Scotia Organics would love to send one lucky reader a summer workout survival kit featuring:
- Cool Performance – Designed to help with acute inflammation, Guggulu powder, White Willow Bark, Holy Basil, Turmeric and Boswellia resin are combined for maximum results. Cool Performance is safe to take before and after your workout.
- BerrySlim – The real berry smoothie mix contains the gluten free plant protein Teff, a grain Ethopian runners attribute to their superior performance. It has a slow release helping you sustain performance. BerrySlim also contains chia seeds to promote hydration.
- Pre & Pro-Biotics – Summer fun can make stomachs act up when it comes time to work out, especially in the heat. Keeping your gut healthy can prevent emergency runs into the woods, promote a stronger immune system and regulate your digestive system.
How do you survive summer workouts?
I was not paid for this review. Nova Scotia Organics did send me supplements to try and I loved them! All opinions are my own.