Back in August I shared the contents of my hospital bag here on Coffee Cake and Cardio and I thought it’d be helpful to share what I actually used while in labor & delivery and during my recovery stay in the hospital. Here you’ll find a list of everything I packed and my remarks in bold next to each item.
The first things I packed were clothes for me (Clockwise from the top left)…
1. One nursing bra – I did not wear a bra while in the hospital. I was either in my hospital gown or in a nursing tank.
2. Two nursing tanks – I wore both nursing tanks while in recovery. I wore my hospital gown the first night and then changed into my own clothes the next morning. I wore the black tank while in the hospital and the white tank the day we went home.
3. Two pairs of black underwear – I wore the mesh underwear the hospital provided during my entire stay in the hospital. I changed into my own underwear when we went home.
4. One pair of slippers with rubber grippers – Never wore.
5. One pair of no-show socks – Never wore.
6. One pair of warm, fuzzy socks – Never wore.
7. A lightweight robe – I wore this robe both days in the hospital as well as most of my first week at home. I’m so glad I brought this robe. It was nice to wear when the pediatrician came in, when we had visitors, and when I wasn’t breastfeeding.
8. An outfit for the hospital if I want to get out of the gown. One pair of lightweight black pants, one tank top, and one t-shirt. – I wore the black pants with my nursing tank the second day we were in the hospital. They were so comfy and it was nice wearing pants! I didn’t wear the tank or the t-shirt while in the hospital.
I also packed an outfit for going home (left to right)…
1. One open front cardigan, which I’ll wear with a nursing tank – I wore this when we headed home.
2. One pair of black yoga pants – Never wore. I stayed in my comfy black pants.
Items not pictured, but will pack include
1. One pair of black Toms – Didn’t even bring to the hospital.
2. One pair of flip-flops, which I’ll probably wear to the hospital – These are the only shoes I brought to the hospital and wore.
For my toiletries I tried to keep things simple (Clockwise from the top left)…
1. Origins Rejuvenating Moisturizer – Didn’t use.
2. Glasses (and extra contacts in the case) – A must!
3. Hairbrush and ties – A must!
4. Toothbrush – A must!
5. Floss and toothpaste – A must!
6. Deodorant – A must!
7. Lanolin cream – A must, though the hospital gave me a small tube to use.
8. Lip balm – A must! My lips were so chapped from the dry hospital air and from being in labor.
9. Number 4 Hydrating masque, shampoo, and prep spray from past Birchboxes – Didn’t use. I just used the shampoo the hospital provided me.
10. Contact solution (contact case not pictured) – A must!
For the baby I packed (Clockwise from the top left)…
1. Baby blanket (I ordered it on Etsy) – I used this throughout our stay, though the hospital blankets were better for swaddling.
2. Newborn one piece – This was the outfit I planned on bringing the baby home in but it turned out I couldn’t cover her ankle bracelets. I was so glad I packed a onesie and pants for her.
3. Beanie – A must!
4. Newborn onesie and pants (larger than the one piece) – This is what she wore home.
5. Two pacifiers (may not use but the hospital does not provide any) – I didn’t use these while in the hospital.
6. One pair of socks – She wore these home.
7. Mittens – She wore these home.
I also packed a backpack for labor and delivery which includes…
1. Laptop and charger – Didn’t use!
2. iPhone charger – A must!
3. iPad – Didn’t use!
4. 1 season of The Office – Didn’t watch.
5. Camera and charger – A must!
I was pretty happy with everything I brought to the hospital, though I ended up not using a lot of the contents of my bag. I don’t feel like I overpacked, but it’s good to know for next time what is a must have and what I can pass on.