It’s amazing how quickly Neal’s and my focus shifted after finding out we were pregnant. While these past 33 weeks have revolved around preparing for our little one’s arrival, I realized that I needed to start preparing for life after delivery.
While I’ve read books and have attended classes, I think there’s a lot to be said about the simple things that will help a new mom to feel comfortable, pampered, and relaxed during a transition such as this. Of course every woman is different, but there were a things I knew I’d want for delivery and after delivery. Honestly, it was just fun buying things for myself and thinking about how I will use these things as our daughter grows.
Here’s my list of things to buy mom before baby arrives, some practical and some just because.
1. Robe – I wanted to find a robe, not only for my stay in the hospital, but also because we’ll be expecting guests the first few months of the baby’s life. I wanted something comfortable and decided on the Jockey Modern Wrap Robe from Kohl’s.
2. Coffee Maker – Now I know I already own a coffee maker and a mini Keurig, but buying Keurig Elite Brewing System was a big want for this momma! It’s so nice having a machine that automatically heats the water and accommodates a travel mug!
3. Pajamas – As I plan on breastfeeding, I wanted to buy myself a set of pajamas I felt pretty in but were functional. I really loved the Croft and Barrow Notch Collar Pajama set from Kohl’s as it was both comfortable and practical for feedings.
4. Hospital Bag – This was not a need by any means, but it was fun treating myself to a new travel bag. I decided to buy a Vera Bradley Weekender bag in the Heather pattern, which matched my daughter’s diaper bag.
5. Travel Mug – I anticipate many mornings spent nursing and cuddling my baby, so a travel mug and water bottle were a must for me. I fell in love with the new tumblers at Starbucks and went ahead and splurged on one.
6. Going Home Outfit – I have a feeling I’m going to want to be as comfortable as possible after the baby arrives, but I also want to feel beautiful. I have some really comfy pants and some nursing tanks, so I thought an open front cardigan would be great for the day we come home from the hospital.
7. Headband – I’m really bad about putting time into my appearance when I’m tired or focused on other things. I have a feeling I’m going to throw my hair up just about every day after the baby arrives, so I decided to buy a few new Violet Love headbands. I have worn these headbands for a year now and absolutely love them!
8. Shoes – TOMS have been my saving grace this pregnancy, along with my flip flops, so I decided a new pair for the fall was in order.