Detoxing this weekend was a challenge as I was in Boston visiting my bridesmaid Melissa. Going into the weekend, I decided to strive to make wise choices and to continue to track my calories using My Fitness Pal on my iPad.
Saturday (1705 calories total)
Breakfast– Bagel with light cream cheese at airport (494 calories)
Lunch– Strawberry smoothie from Panera Bread (260 calories)
Dinner– Veggie pizza at Waxy O’Connors and a blue moon (951 calories)
Sunday (1257 calories total)
Breakfast– 2 clementines and coffee (124 calories)
Lunch– bread bowl with chili and a side salad at Joe’s American Bar and Grill (868 calories)
Dinner– Black bean soup and homemade guacamole (265 calories)
Considering I ate out 4 out of my 6 meals this weekend, I think I did ok. I had a very challenging time choosing my dinner on Saturday night and my lunch on Sunday, which made me realize that I needed a little help in the “making healthy choices” department. Restaurant menus can be really overwhelming, so I looked up some tips for future outings and here’s what I learned…
Making Healthy Choice When Eating Out
- Plan ahead. Look up the restaurant’s menu online before going out that way you don’t have to make a quick decision.
- Have a main meal and 1 extra (if any). Choose between an appetizer, drink or dessert. This can save you hundreds of calories.
- Remember that restaurant portion sizes are large. Divide your food on your plate and commit to taking the leftovers home.
- Many states are now requiring restaurants to list calories. Let them be your guide.
- Look for simple dishes: protein, carbs, and veggies.
- Order water! Not only will this help to fill you up but will help to hydrate you after eating salty foods.
- Order a side salad and then split a meal with a friend
What helps you to make wise choices when eating out?