This weekend, Neal and I loaded up the car and headed up to Philadelphia, PA for the Healthy Living Summit. Going into the weekend I was nervous, excited, and even a little scared. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I now know that the Healthy Living Summit was where I was meant to be this past weekend.
We arrived at the hotel safely on Friday night, checked in and the went strait to bed! I was so excited about Saturday but definitely needed to get some beauty rest. The Marriott has amazing beds but their pillows are really random. They have these over sized pillows and then these smaller feather pillows. After building a pillow castle and testing out my masterpiece, I settled in and knocked out!
Saturday morning I headed down to the Summit and was welcomed by lots of happy,energetic faces. There was also a beautiful breakfast brought to us by Attune Foods! I had some fruit, granola, hard boiled egg, and a big cup of coffee. It was an awesome breakfast and was a great way to start off the summit. After breakfast we moved into various sessions and I attended:
- Budgeting for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Small Phrases for Healthy Changes: The Power of “Action Mantras”
- Rising Above Negativity
- The Flexitarian Diet: Keynote Speaker
- The Numbers Game
- Monetizing your Blog
I took a lot of things away from each session. Here’s a quick look at the main points I took away from the Healthy Living Summit:
- Don’t EVER ask a blogger how many views they get a day… especially not in front of a whole room of bloggers. That was my FAIL of the weekend.
- Budgeting is a matter of being disciplined.
- Reinvent your favorite foods. It’s a great way to satisfy your cravings and to incorporate healthier choices.
- Think about the things that trigger you in an unhealthy way. For me, it isn’t good for me to buy tubs of ice cream… never ends well!
- Read and support others blogs! There are some amazing men and women out there who put a lot of thought and time into their blogs and they need our support.
My favorite sessions were by the keynote speaker, Dawn Jackson Blatner. She is an absolutely amazing woman and I learned so much from her. I won a copy of her book, The Flexitarian Diet and am really looking forward to reading it on the metro this week. This weekend I finished Tina‘s book Carrots ‘N’ Cake… which I highly recommend. It’s just a fun read and Tina has some great advice to give.
Some of my favorite mantras from Dawn’s first session were…
- Social Sweets Only: This mantra helps when you’re tempted to eat sweets throughout the day/week. By only eating social sweets, you are able to limit you intake of desserts and other sweets but you’re also able to enjoy them with company you love. Ask yourself, how many times have you regretted eating a piece of dessert at a party or restaurant? Most would probably feel more guilty for eating a big dessert at home. Eating sweets socially is fun, enjoyable, and can be moderated.
- 25-25-50: This mantra helps with portion control. You can still eat the same foods you like but just shift your portions. Eat 25% protein, 25% carbs, and 50% veggies.
- No Free Food: This is a fantastic mantra because it helps with those office food temptations that are out there. By only eating foods you’ve bought, you stay clear of the cookies, bagels, and candy brought into the office. It also keeps you away from food samples at Costco, on an airplane, or any other place you’d find free food, lol.
Neal and I had a fantastic time on Saturday and I learned a ton. While I was at the summit Neal was busy working on his third book up in the hotel room. He enjoyed having a weekend away from DC and having the opportunity to hang out in Philly.
After the summit ended on Saturday, Neal and I headed down to Penn’s Landing for dinner. It felt so wrong going out for BBQ after learning more about the Flexitarian diet, but this dinner was so yummy! I love me some baked beans!!! I would have been happy with just a big bowl of these.
After dinner we took a long walk and headed over to The Frankin Fountain. We love this ice cream place! I grabbed a scoop of mint chip and Neal snagged a scoop of banana ice cream. We also ran into Sara from Dogs and Seltzer when we were there. She’s an absolutely fabulous person and I can’t wait to read more of her blog.
Some of the other amazing bloggers I met were:
- Bonnie from Life to the Full
- Erin from Big Girl Feats
- Jessica from The Lunchmeat Blog
- Lynda from Healthy Hoboken Girl
- Lisa from I’m an Okie
- Michelle from Momma in Training
- and many more!