After last week’s snow, I am extremely excited to welcome spring today and to begin transitioning to spring! Although I don’t mind the winter, after 3-4 months of it, I’m always ready for the warmer weather. This was a weird winter, to say the least, but I’m still really excited for the warmer weather and all that comes with it!
I think the transition into the spring is a really important one, both for your body and for your mind. I’ve seen myself react two ways to the arrival of spring… I either get really bummed that I didn’t do more over the winter or I get thrilled for all that the warmer months will hold.
The bummed out Ashley thinks…
- “Why didn’t I work out more over the winter”
- “Oh crap, I can’t hide under my hoodie any longer”
- “Ehhh, I don’t know if I’m ready to wear shorts and a bathing suit”
- “I hope my clothes from last spring/summer still fit”
The reality is, I could react that way every spring, but why allow myself to? The spring brings with it renewal, rebirth, and a fresh start. So here are my tips for transitioning to spring…
1. Don’t allow yourself to think about what you could have, would have, should have done over the winter months. Thinking back will stop you from moving forward. Just look forward.
2. Allow yourself to get excited about the warmer months. Make a list of all the things you love about the spring and summer. That’s one of the many reasons I love making lists, they motivate me and give me something to look forward to!
- I love that I can wear dresses just about every day
- I love baseball season
- I love going out to dinner with friends and sitting on the patio
- I love all the colors
- I love wearing sandals all day, every day
- I love the flowers
- I love that the farmers market reopens
- I love how eager people are to make plans
3. Just get it over with. Pull out your warm weather clothes and try each piece on. If it doesn’t fit, GET RID OF IT! Donate it, sell it, or whatever will get it out of your house. Could you wear it again some day, yes, but why have it sit there and make you bummed. If getting rid of the clothes is difficult for you, at least put it away until you’re ready to try it on again. Don’t let clothes you feel gross in stare at you every morning when you go to get dressed.
4. Go buy yourself a new outfit. There’s just something about a new dress or shirt when the weather changes. This past weekend I bought myself a few new dresses and I can’t wait to wear them as the temperatures warm up!
5. Create a spring workout plan. The weather is beautiful… allow it to inspire you! Maybe it’ll inspire you to add morning walks or runs to your schedule. Maybe it’ll encourage you to sign up for an outdoor boot camp. Maybe you’ll decide to swim laps when the local pool open. Don’t limit yourself to the gym or to your home.
6. Make a spring and summer bucket list. What do you want to do this summer? What are your goals? Over the years I’ve created seasonal bucket lists and I’m excited to tackle my spring to do list! It’s just fun to think ahead and to think of what you’d like to accomplish before the fall.
7. Drink lots of water. The transition to spring can be really tough for some people physically. Whether it’s allergies or a spring cold, the temperature change can be really hard on some people.
10. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!!!