Last weekend when we were in Cleveland, Neal’s Mom gave us a ginormous bag of rhubarb from Iowa. Since returning home it has been my mission to make Neal a yummy rhubarb dish before week’s end. Behold, the Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble… the most beautiful pre-summer dessert I’ve ever seen.
As we move into May, aka strawberry season, it’s fun to think about all of the other fruits that pair so well with strawberries. In my opinion, strawberries and rhubarb go hand in hand!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Dice strawberries and rhubarb
3. In a large bowl, combine white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, strawberries, and rhubarb. Mix well until all of the fruit is coated with the flour and sugar
4. Pour fruit mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish (I sprayed the dish with a little non stick cooking spray beforehand)
5. In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats. Mix well until mixture is crumbly.
6. Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
7. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned.
What a fantastic dessert. If you’ve never cooked with rhubarb, you should give it a shot… you wont regret it! Happy baking!