Creating new years resolutions can be an incredibly exciting. The bigger question you need to ask yourself is how to keep your resolutions.
1. Take your resolution one day at a time
– This can go two ways. On one hand you need to focus on the day at hand and not look too far into the future. On the other hand, if you have a bad day you need to realize it’s just one day and you have many more ahead of you. Taking things one day at a time will help keep you from getting discouraged.
2. Keep you resolutions somewhere you can see them
– Seeing is believing. By writing down your resolutions and placing them somewhere you will see daily, it’ll help you to keep your resolutions fresh in your mind. If you lose sight of your resolutions you will not be successful with them.
3. Break your resolutions into something that is a manageable
– Looking at a year’s worth of revolutions can be overwhelming. Just as you need to take it one day at a time, you’ll also benefit from breaking down your resolutions into monthly goals. If your resolution is to workout more, create a monthly goal and then break it down into weekly goals.
4. Don’t go cold turkey
– DON’T GO COLD TURKEY!! If you’re trying to break the habit of eating out every day, it may be challenging to go without eating out at all without binging. Instead start by only eating out once a week and when you do make healthy choices. Then start to ween yourself from eating out all together. Working out can be the same way. If you’ve never run before, don’t go out for a 5 mile run on day one. Take it step by step and day by day. Finding a running plan or program can help you to achieve your goal.
5. Have people you trust keep you accountable
– It can be hard to do it alone. Being able to share resolutions with someone you trust can help you to keep your resolutions. My biggest piece of advice though is to tell the person what you’ll need from them. If your resolution is to not eat dessert and they see you eating a bowl of ice cream, do you want them to say something or just let you be? It can cause fights/issues if you’re not on the same page as to the kind of support you need.
No matter how your resolutions are going so far, do not lose hope in your ability to reach your goals. We are human and we make mistakes but we also have the ability to learn from our mistakes and to make great changes.
You can do this. I can do this.