I’ve fallen hard for the Acai bowl trend. I had my first Acai bowl at South Block and have since tried a number of different Acai bowls, including one in Florida and two in LA. It isn’t easy to find Acai bowls in DC, plus they’re also pricey, so I’ve started making my own Acai bowls at home.
Acai, a delicious superfood, became popular a few years ago. There are a couple of frozen Acai products out there, but after doing some research I decided to buy the Sambazon frozen packs at Whole Foods.
The base of every Acai bowl is, you guess it, Acai. From there you can add various fruits, nut butters, juices, mylks/milks, you name it. What makes the bowl for me though are all the toppings. Whether it’s fresh berries, banana, coconut, granola, or honey, the toppings can make each Acai bowl unique.
- 2 packs of frozen acai puree
- ½ medium banana (frozen is ideal)
- ½ cup berries (your choice)
- ¼ cup juice (your choice)
- Toppings (granola, banana, berries, coconut, honey, and/or chia seeds)
- To a blender add the frozen acai, banana, berries, and juice. Blend until smooth. As the mixture will be thick, you may need to stir and break up the mixture as needed. This will be a thick smoothie. You can also add more juice if needed.
- Pour your Acai mixture into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!