Right after delivering Magnolia fitness and weight loss were the furthest things from my mind. Every moment up until this point has been dedicated to Magnolia, but now that we’re settled in I’m eager to get back into the swing of things. While I’m not quite ready to start a weight loss or fitness plan just yet, I am ready to reestablish my routine and to start building a healthy foundation to stand on.
Back in August I shared my short-term and long-term goals for postpartum and they remain the same.
- Take care of myself after the baby arrives, allowing myself time to transition into motherhood and to heal from delivery.
- Begin to follow my weight loss plan after the baby arrives, remaining flexible as I adjust to raising a child and breastfeeding.
- Ease back into my workouts. Being active when I can but trusting the doctor’s timeline.
- Return to spin classes, running, and weight lifting after I have been cleared to workout.
- Reach my pre-pregnancy weight of 234lbs
- Reach my lowest adult weight of 206lbs
While I haven’t moved beyond my first goal just yet, I really need to do a better job of taking care of myself! I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t made myself a priority these first three weeks and I think it’s starting to wear on me. While I may not be making things like shaving my legs a priority (shocker), I’ve got to find the energy to meal plan for example. Some things can wait, but there is a core list of things that keep me feeling like myself and keep me healthy.
I’ve thought about self-care a lot this weekend and have created a list of things I want to do and/or accomplish in order to get back into the swing of things.
- Create a list of quick and easy meal and snack ideas to go on the fridge – I’ve really struggled to eat balanced meals throughout the day, so I want to create a list of ideas in order to take the guess-work out of it when I’m needing to grab a quick lunch or snack between naps and feedings.
- Create a weekly dinner plan and go grocery shopping each week – Neal and I haven’t done the best job of eating dinner at a reasonable time (usually because we have no idea what to eat and we put it off), but with him going back to work this week I really want to be on top of dinners. My plan is to use each weekend to create a meal plan for dinners and then to go grocery shopping.
- Shower, shave, and blow dry my hair – Yes I’ve been showering but I need to pamper myself a little more and need to blow dry my hair, especially with the weather changing.
- Move more – It’s incredibly easy to sit all day. Whether I’m nursing, rocking, or cuddling the baby I’m usually sitting. Neal and I did a great job of going for a walk almost every day he was home, but now that Neal’s back at work I really need to make my solo walks a priority. I’m REALLY eager to get back to spin, especially because I recovered so quickly, but I know it’s important to give my body time to adjust.
- Journal and read – I’ve been watching a lot of TV, mainly because I can do it while my hands are full, but I want to take more time to journal and read when my hands are free. I need to make the most of my time while Magnolia is sleeping. There are a lot of emotions a new mom goes through and it’s really important for me to be able to process my thoughts. I have lots on my mind now, like finding daycare for my return to work, so it’s really important for me to brain dump any way I can.
- Talk to friends – I haven’t been the best about returning phone calls but I’ve got to find time to talk to friends and loved ones.
- Blog – I love blogging! It’s a great release for me and is a hobby I am passionate about. I’ve blogged when I can, usually taking 2-3 days to complete a post, but I’m glad I’ve kept it up! Much like journaling, blogging is a great way for me to get my thoughts on “paper” and to connect with the outside word.
- Strive for routine and schedule – These first three weeks have flown by and although Magnolia is too young to establish a routine just yet I can strive to create a routine and schedule for myself when she’s sleeping. I’m really eager to get my life back in order and I want to spend this month focusing on routine and schedule before I return to work in November.
The last three weeks have been a little crazy and although it has been hard to find motivation to do things that didn’t revolve around Magnolia, it feels great to be hungry for more! I’m really excited to get back on track, to start working out more, and to prepare for weight loss by establishing better routine now. It just feels good to be motivated for more and to have a beautiful baby girl to motivate me!
Here’s to routine!