Unlike my postpartum experience with Magnolia, this time around I am trying to focus on life one day at a time. It is far too easy for me to live weeks, months, and years into my future. It isn’t easy for me to slow things down and to focus on the here and now, but I don’t want to miss out on the joy and life that is happening before me because I’m so focused on what is to come.
No day is the same, and trust me, plenty of days go by when I don’t accomplish all of these tasks, but as I move into my life with 2 kids, I’m trying to create healthier daily habits. It is extremely easy for me to put my own wellness and self care on the back burner and now with 2 kids, I know it’s imperative that I take steps to prioritize myself. My list of daily habits will change depending on the day, week, month, but my hope is that by creating a list of “wellness tasks” that I can not only make myself a priority, but I can also maintain my focus on the here and now.
My first list of “daily habits” is specific to my time on maternity leave. This is what I’m able to do right here, right now! These things make me happy, help me to feel healthy, and bring me joy. This list will change in a few weeks when I head back to work part-time, but I’m really enjoying each of these things while I’m home with Kinnick.
1. Enjoy a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning, no mater how crazy those first few hours are. Each morning, Kinnick wakes up between 6AM and 7AM. He always wakes up crying, because he’s hangry, but I still take the time to make myself a cup of coffee before I sit down to feed him. I really love sitting in the morning sun, drinking my coffee (out of a travel mug), and breastfeeding Kinnick. It’s something I’ll look back on fondly in the years to come.
2. Read the Bible and meditate on the scriptures. I’ve told y’all about my personal spiritual journey over the past 8 years, but this year I made it a personal goal to re-explore daily habits, like reading the bible and praying, that once brought me so much joy. It’s been a long time since I made God’s word a part of my daily life and I’m praying to rekindle that flame that once burned bright inside of me.
3. Eat wholesome foods to fuel my body. I am not focused on weight loss right now. What I am focused on is fueling my body for lactation. I am trying to eat wholesome foods, enjoy treats occasionally, and move further away from my pregnancy diet (all the carbs and sweets). I am not following a diet, tracking anything, or weighing myself, but I am focused on eating wholesome foods to fuel my body.
4. Eat a bowl of oatmeal each day for lactation. I didn’t breastfeed Magnolia for as long as I had wanted to for many reasons, but one of those reasons was that I just didn’t produce as much milk via pumping as I needed to. I am trying to increase milk production and am applying various tactics such as eating oatmeal each day. More on that in another post soon.
5. Get outside when I can. Even if it’s just to drink my coffee, to check the mail, or to run to Target. Sitting inside all day brings me down, especially in the summer.
6. Go for a walk each day. I can not wait to get back to OrangeTheory. CAN. NOT. WAIT! For now though, I’m trying to walk when I can, but boy it’s hot outside!!
7. Buy seasonal produce from the Farmer’s Market. I love eating seasonally and I’m trying to make the most of the summer produce. We’ve been going to the farmer’s market every Sunday and it’s just so fun picking out new fruits and veggies for the week ahead.
8. Enjoy lots and lots and lots of baby snuggles! Enough said!