On Sunday after church, Neal and I went to Founding Farmers in Potomac, Maryland.
I fell in love with this restaurant the moment I stepped inside. It was so inviting and every item on the menu screamed “TRY ME”.
Although I REALLY wanted to order the Carrot Cake Pancakes, I decided to be a good girl and order the Steel Cut Oats. The oats came with almonds, strawberries, brown sugar, golden raisins, granola and a vanilla cream.
I have to say, this was the best bowl of steel cut oats I’ve ever had! With a big cup of coffee along side, it was the perfect Sunday brunch.
With such a yummy meal in my belly, I decided it was time to search for a Cinnamon Banana Steel Cut Oats recipe for me to make at home. I found this awesome recipe from Yum Yucky, which Iowa Girl Eats also modified, and decided to give it a try this week.
Cinnamon Banana Steel Cut Oats
– 2 cups steel cut oats
– 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
– 3 ripe bananas
– ground cinnamon
- Combine steel cut oats and almond milk in large pot. Bring oats to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When the oats begin boiling, turn the burner down low and cook the oats for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Test oats occasionally, checking their chewiness. Cooked oats will be slightly firm, yet chewy.
- Peel bananas and smash thoroughly with potato masher or fork.
- When the oats are done, turn off the burner and add smashed bananas. Stir until well mixed.
As I cooked these Sunday afternoon, I split the pot into 5 portions and packaged it up for the week ahead.
Yesterday morning I reheated my first batch! I added a little extra almond milk and microwaved the oats for 2 minutes. I then added 1/4 cup of dried cranberries. The oats were freakin’ awesome. I’ll be totally honest, I’m a little worried what they’ll be like on Friday because of the added bananas, but I’ll just have to let y’all know then.
Today’s Meal Plan
Breakfast – Cinnamon steel cut oats, blackberries, 1/4 cup of cranberries and coffee
Lunch – Green Chili Chili (recipe coming tomorrow), hummus, broccoli, and carrots
Snacks – plum and granola bar
Dinner – Trader Joe’s asian vegetables and teriyaki chicken breast
Today’s Workout Plan (#20daychallenge)
30 minutes on elliptical, 10 minutes of stairmaster and weight lifting