July was an absolutely wonderful month and it’s bittersweet to see it end. I started the month 38 weeks pregnant and so incredibly eager to meet our son. I wrapped up things at work, welcomed my mom to DC, celebrated my 5 year anniversary with Neal (in the hospital), and welcomed our son Kinnick to the world all in the first week.
The weeks since have been filled with adjustment, some easier than others, but I’ve truly enjoyed each and every day this month. My goals for July were to be kind to myself, ask for help when I needed it, listen to what my body needed postpartum, and to focus on my children’s needs as Magnolia adjusted to being a big sister and I adjusted to breastfeeding Kinnick.
It’s bittersweet to see the month pass because it was just a wonderful month. So great being with family, having little to no distractions, and being able to just be. I was fully present in July, and although my goal is to remain the same in August, we have a lot happening this next month.
As I look towards August, I want to focus on self care. I’m looking forward to returning to work, especially as the fall sports season begins, but I know it’ll be hard leaving Kinnick and returning to a lifestyle in which I have to divide my time among my loved ones, daily responsibilities, and career. It will be an adjustment, just like it was when I returned to work after having Magnolia, but I know we’ll be ok and we’ll adjust. Thankfully, I am only working 3 days a week during the fall semester, which will give me extra days to spend with Kinnick as he grows. I’m also excited to be home a few days a week as Magnolia adjust to preschool in September.
Ready or not, here we go! Goals are built around my 2017 New Years goals.
Coming Up In August
- Neal’s parents visit from Iowa
- Girl’s day with my sister before her 2nd year of grad school begins
- Preparing for Magnolia’s start of the new school year (pre-k)
- Newborn photo shoot with Stefanie Harrington
- My dad visits from Texas
- Start of the academic year at work and my gradual return to the office postpartum
Projects In August
- Plan out our family photo shoot outfits
- Organize our attic storage and all of our holiday stuff
- Go through my bins of clothes and downsize (I’d love to do a plus size clothing swap somehow)
- Create a decorating plan for our house (what to tackle when over the next year)
- What to paint
- What to hang
- List of projects for contractors
- Dream projects (like building a deck)
August 2017 Goals
Investing in Family
- Get back into the habit of unplugging between the hours of 6PM and 8PM (family time!)
- Enjoy some day dates with Neal on days we’re both off work
- Start planning Magnolia’s birthday
- Plan a family day before I head back to work
Building a Community
- Set up some play dates with some of the moms from church
- Schedule a dentist appointment for Magnolia
Prioritizing Personal Wellness
- Read the bible each day and meditate on the scriptures
- Journal my feeling and thoughts as we go through this season of change
- Listen to books on Audible again (Rising Strong and The Obesity Code are next in my queue)
- Go out for walks on nice days
- Return to OrangeTheory after I’m cleared by my doctor
- Try out a new lunch spot or two while I’m on maternity leave
Focusing On Finances
- Start saving for the holidays and holiday travel
- Track our use of various products over the next month to help with budgeting purposes (baby items, pantry items, toiletries, etc)